DGS’ Office of State Publishing (OSP) set up shop in a new facility after more than 65 years at its 344 North 7th Street location. The ribbon-cutting ceremony and grand opening for the new facility took place today at 885 Riverside Parkway, West Sacramento, CA 95605.
OSP was established as the Office of State Printing in 1850. The first state printing plant was formed in 1873 at the Governor’s Mansion at 15th and L Streets. The second plant was located at 10th and O Streets and was shared with the State Archivist. The third location, at North 7th Street, began construction in 1952 and opened in 1954. The office name changed from printing to publishing in 1999 to better reflect that OSP provided more services than just ink to paper.
OSP currently performs a variety of publishing services for more than 144 agencies, the Legislature and Governor’s Office, and is supported by more than 300 employees.
Prior to the move, seven old offset presses were decommissioned and are now replaced with more energy-efficient digital presses. The new West Sacramento location is smaller and is estimated that it will reduce OSP’s energy usage and major maintenance costs by more than $1 million a year.
As part of the DGS 10-year Sequencing Plan, the North 7th Street location is scheduled to be replaced with new state office buildings.